What To Do If Your House Is Flooded Due To A Storm?
Storm water can build up and cause flooding around your home. The water can find ways to enter into your house and cause a big mess. If your home starts flooding because due to a storm, you should follow the following six steps to get everything back to the way it was.
- Turn Off the Electricity - Turn off all electrical systems if you can get to your fuse box without walking through water. If you cannot reach the fuse box without walking through water, leave it alone.
- Evacuate the Premises - Locate a shelter that is not in the flooded area. Get everyone relocated to the shelter as soon as possible.
- Call for Help - Once your family members are safe, call for help. If anyone needs medical attention, call 911. No matter what’s going on with the flooded house, the damage has already been done. Your focus must be on you and your loved ones’ well-being. After you’ve verified that everyone is safe and well, you can make calls to the proper parties to get the recovery process underway. Call Your Insurer, make sure to clarify whether you need to wait for an adjuster to visit your home before you begin the cleanup and repair processes.
- Document Everything - Document everything so you can show your insurer the extent of the damage. Use the camera on your cell phone to film or photograph all aspects of the issue. The water that’s flooding your home may include sewage or other hazardous material, so you need to take extreme precautions to not touch it. Before going into the home, suit up with appropriate protective gear, such as waders and waterproof boots.
- Start the Cleanup Process - Cleaning up after a flood is a long, arduous process. You’ll need to remove the water, salvage any personal items you can, dry the space out, and disinfect any areas or objects the water touched.
- Prevent Mold Damage - Mold is a big problem after a flood—and not just the type of mold that you might find in a damp basement. Toxic mold or black mold can have effects on your health. To avoid mold issues, you’ll need to do two things: keep areas that flooded as dry as possible and treat potential problem areas with a strong cleaner, like a bleach solution.
The professionals at SERVPRO of Palm Desert are here to help, give us a call at (760)346-7270.