If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (760) 346-7270

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Top 10 Most Common Causes Of House Fires

3/16/2021 (Permalink)

SERVPRO of Palm Desert Logo SERVPRO Palm Desert will clean up fire, smoke and water damage that was done to your home.

House fires can be very devastating. You can lose your home, valuables, priceless family items and even loved ones. Here are ten of the most common causes of house fires. 

  1. Heating - Keep portable heaters away from anything that could easily catch fire such as furniture, curtains, laundry, clothes and even yourself. If you have a furnace, get it inspected once a year to make sure it is working to safety standards.
  1. Smoking in Bedrooms - Bedrooms are best to be kept off limits for smoking. A cigarette that is not put out properly can cause a flame, as the butt may stay lit for a few hours. It could burst into flames if it encounters flammable materials, such as furniture, blankets or rugs. Fires started in the bedroom or lounge make up 73% of all house fire fatalities.
  1. Candles - Candles may look and smell pretty, but if left unattended they can cause a room to easily burst into flames. Make sure to keep candles away from any flammable items such as books, curtains and tissue boxes. Remember to always blow a candle out before leaving a room.
  1. Electrical Equipment - An electrical appliance can start a fire if it is faulty or has a frayed cord. A power point that is overloaded with double adapter plugs can cause a fire from being over crowded. A power point extension cord can also be a fire hazard if not used appropriately.
  1. Faulty Wiring - Homes with inadequate wiring can cause fires from electrical hazards. Some signs to see if you have bad wiring are: lights dim if you use another appliance; for an appliance to work, you must disconnect another; fuses blow or trip the circuit frequently. A lot of older homes also have aluminum wiring which has been known to cause electrical fires.
  1. Barbeques - Barbeques are great for an outdoor meal, but should always be used away from the home, tablecloths or any plants and tree branches. Keep BBQs regularly maintained and cleaned with soapy water and clean any removable parts. Check the gas bottle for any leaks before you use it each time.
  1. Flammable Liquids - If you have any flammable liquids in the home or garage such as petrol, kerosene or methylated spirits, keep them away from heat sources and check the label before storing.
  1. Cooking Equipment - Pots and pans can overheat and cause a fire very easily if the person cooking gets distracted and leaves cooking unattended. Always stay in the room, or ask someone to watch your food, when cooking on hotplates.
  1. Lighting - Lamp shades and light fittings can build up heat if they are very close to light globes.  Lamp bases can become a hazard if they are able to be knocked over easily, and should be removed if they are. Check that downlights are insulated from wood paneling or ceiling timbers.
  2. Curious Children - Kids can cause a fire out of curiosity, to see what would happen if they set fire to an object. Keep any matches or lighters out of reach of children, to avoid any curiosity turned disaster.

If your Palm Desert home has suffered from fire damage, give us a call to help with the clean up and restoration. We'll make it "Like it never even happened."

Other News

View Recent Posts